How to choose the right water heater?
Picture this…you’ve had a long day at work and you’re just headed home. What is the first thing you would want to do? Hit a hot water shower and unwind!
Water heaters are one of the most essential household appliances in today’s world. Just like all other domestic devices, it is important to be cautious and careful while buying a new geyser for your house. A big source of energy consumption, water heaters can add to your energy bills substantially if not chosen wisely.
In India, we have immense diversity observed in families. Right from the number of people living together to climatic variations, there is a wide selection criterion seen when shopping for a water geyser. Here are the different factors that one must consider in choosing the right water heater
1. Types and options of water heaters available
Before buying, it is essential to know the different types of water heaters available in the market:
- Instant Water Heaters: Looking for a quick hot water shower at the snap of your finger? Your answer lies in an Instant Water Heater that gives hot water in a jiffy without storing it.
- Storage Water Heaters: This comes with a storage tank of hot water ideal for families with bigger needs. It offers a ready reservoir of hot water, all set to be released when you turn on the tap.
- Gas Water Heaters: These highly energy-efficient water geysers run on the power of LPG/PNG gas instead of electricity.
- Heat Pump Water Heaters: These use electricity to move heat from one place to another instead of generating heat directly proving to be two to three times more energy-efficient than conventional electric resistance water heaters.
- Solar Water Heaters: These are eco-friendly water heaters that naturally use sunlight to heat the water. Based on thermosiphon principle these are designed to provide hot water without consuming expensive electricity.
- Immersion Water Heater: A low-cost option, Immersion Water Heaters is highly popular and a convenient heating appliance that supplies instant hot water.
- Boilers: A boiler turns water into steam making it inexpensive and efficient to transport heat.
2. Energy efficiency
The new age instant water heaters come with a higher running cost as compared to their traditional counterpart. They end up using higher energy (3kW and above) to heat water whereas storage water heaters prove more energy efficient while using only up to 2kW of energy. It is important to research the brand that offers the highest energy optimization.
3. Space matters
Traditionally Indian families lived in big homes where bulky water heaters never posed a problem. But modern homes are modest in size where the size of your water heater matters. Judge your living space to decide how big your water heater should be. Also, choose a product that matches and enhances the aesthetics of the space.
Like all electronic gadgets, water heaters have longevity. Instant geysers have a lifespan of 20 years as compared to 10 to 15 years for tank-type water heaters. Different factors like frequency of usage and regular maintenance help in improving the lifespan.
5. Storage capacity
You must judge the amount of hot water needed in your household. A conventional storage water heater can store up to 15 litres of hot water and fulfil all your bathroom, kitchen, bathroom and laundry needs. While an instant water heater can supply only a few litres of hot water at a time. Depending on where you wish to install the water heater and what it will be used for the purchase decision can be made.
As mentioned, an instant water heater is more expensive than a conventional one. Besides, their installation costs include electrical outlets for their fan and electronics, upgraded gas pipes, and a new ventilation system. A storage water tank is relatively pocket-friendly with lesser installation specifications and lower monthly running costs.
The usage of hot water often becomes a determinant in choosing the right water heater. Instant water heaters have a capacity of only 3 litres which often is not the optimum output for bathing for a family. It is ideal for regular hand wash and kitchen. Higher usage needs geysers with a bigger capacity that can be fulfilled by selecting from other options mentioned above.
There is no right or wrong product when it comes to buying a water heater. Let your individual and specific home's needs and your lifestyle the true determinants of the next water heater that you buy.
Looking for the best water heater online that best suits your requirements? Log on to www.orangewater.in! We have the widest range of Water Heaters & Geysers to choose from. Shop on to keep your hygiene and freshness quotient high in the most energy-efficient way.